There are many home improvement projects, but few can provide the benefits of a New Jersey bathroom remodeling project. Remodeling the bathroom can be a great way to add real value to your home while increasing the enjoyment level of yourself and your family.
There are a number of things to consider before undertaking such a major project, however, such as:
1. Have a detailed inspection of your bathroom done before you start. It is a good idea to have a plumber inspect your current bathroom for leaks and other problems. Remodeling time is a good time to fix any leaks and update the fixtures.
2. Pay attention to energy efficiency. Chances are you will be able to save money in the long run by installing low flow toilets, water saving showerheads and other energy efficient fixtures.
3. Sketch out your proposed bathroom design. It is important to plan carefully for what you will do with the space. If you want a larger bathtub, or even a whirlpool, be sure to sketch it out and make sure you have enough space.
4. Pay attention to storage space. Storage space is at a premium in many modern bathrooms. You may be able to use your bathroom remodel to gain more cabinet and storage space.
5. Prepare a realistic budget for the project. No remodeling project can be successful without a realistic budget. Take the time to draw up an honest budget, and try your best to stick to it.
6. Shop around carefully. The prices on the same fixtures can vary quite a bit between stores. Be sure to shop around for what you need in order to get the best price.
7. Find a reliable contractor. For most people, remodeling the bathroom is not a do it yourself project. It is important to find a contractor who has experience with plumbing and remodeling bathrooms.
8. Pay attention to color. A fresh coat of paint can make a huge difference when remodeling the bathroom, but many people fail to take this important and inexpensive step. Painting the bathroom with a fresh coat of paint can make a huge difference.
9. Stay organized. Proper organization is essential to a successful bathroom remodeling project. Use a calendar to keep track of important deadlines, and remain organized as you go forward.
10. Keep your eye on the ball. It is important to see the bathroom remodeling project as a whole project. Even though there are many small hurdles to tackle, it is important to see the project as a whole.
Brooke Sikula is a freelance writer based in Ventura, CA and maintains her own website at http://www.brookesikula.com. She is also a regular contributor to http://www.homesfix.com.